Friday, December 29, 2017

Teachers Facing Deportation

After enduring some 6 days in central cell block jail in this country’s capital, on hunger strike and risking deportation, it’s difficult to express how relieved I am to be out. I can’t fully explain how scary it was to be in there. But during my time spent in jail, I remained resolved in the fight to win permanent protection for other young undocumented immigrants.

You’ll find more of my story below. What you need to know is that my mother didn’t teach me to be a coward. She didn’t teach me to wait until someone does something for me. She taught me to never give up without a fight.

Can you join me by giving $3 to the movement that I know will help immigrants finally win permanent protection?

I remember being in my apartment with my mom and hearing the announcement for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA). I figured out how to apply, then got approved for DACA and I was so happy because finally I was able to be a teacher and work legally. I felt empowerment — like I belonged in this country. But that was fleeting.

Participating in the sit-in at Senator Schumer’s office, demanding he use his power as the Senate leader, I was reminded of how temporary my feeling of belonging in this country is, and how my community is always put on the chopping block by the very power-holders who claim to be fighting in our best interests. Schumer, in a typical move of cowardice, did not use his power to whip the Democratic vote to remain true to their own word.  In the end, despite their promise, they left the Congressional session without ensuring a Clean Dream Act passed.

The Democrats and Congress sold us out, once again. But we will fight back in 2018. Can you give $3 to support us?


I arrived here when I was six years old and went to school here all my life. Right after high school I went to college and got a degree in early childhood development. My reality was one not unlike many young undocumented immigrants — it was really hard for me to continue going to school because my mom wasn’t financially stable and school was so expensive. 
DACA offered me needed relief. But I always knew it was temporary. That’s why I fight with Cosecha. What we need is permanent protection. Everyone should have that ability to move freely, work, and be protection from deportation . I’m in this fight to see respect for the work that we do. 
Even though I was so scared to go to jail that I couldn’t even tell my mom, I didn’t want to let that fear take a hold of me and put me in a little corner. I didn’t waiver in my action, just like my mom always taught me. I remained focused on my ultimate goal  — protecting all those families that have a lot more at stake than I do.

Support the people who are willing to risk it all to gain protection. Contribute by giving $3 or more to Cosecha before the end of the year.

Become a monthly donor


With gratitude,

Barbara Hernandez
Volunteer Organizer

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.